Hi I’m Ashlie! I’m a Yoga Teacher and Yoga Therapist in Oakville and I’m passionate about helping people feel better in their body so they can get back to the activities and life they love pain free.
I know what it feels like to be injured, in pain and completely limited in my daily activities. I felt; stuck, old, useless and like my body was failing me and it was out of my control. I tried physiotherapy, a chiropractor, massage therapy and acupuncture but ultimately I had to give up my activities to heal. Someone suggested I try yoga and so my journey began.
There are so many studios, options of classes, teachers and communities to choose from, it was overwhelming! I ended up falling in love with the practice and community of Modo yoga (formerly Moksha Yoga). So much in fact that I quit my corporate job and travelled to India for teacher training in 2010.
I injured myself further thanks to my competitive and curious nature trying to get ‘the full experience’. Another major setback… or so I thought.
This experience fuelled my passion to helping my students in and out of the studio to modify their practice so it feels good in their bodies. My students were enjoying their modified practice but they (and I) weren’t seeing the progress we expected with regular practice. Why is this?
Yoga Therapy was the missing link! Instead of adding props to make a pose accessible find out why the component parts of the pose aren’t working for the students and how it’s all connected in the body/mind. When you work on the why things aren’t moving the way they should and get them moving better you create sustainable change for your students.
“I can’t touch my toes!” Instead of giving you a block to bring the floor up to you (which is helpful!), the movement should be coming from a hinge motion at the hips so if the pelvis is stuck it cannot move forward around the leg bones to touch your toes and most people then try to bend from the mid back to make it happen. Instead, we work on getting your pelvis to move better so there can be a natural progression to touching your toes.
THAT is why I teach, those ‘a-ha!’ moments where there is instant clarity, understanding and then building towards progress. These moments ‘Fuel my Flow’… my state of energy is lifted and magnified a thousand times over. Working 1-on-1 with students fuels me, it fills my cup when I can help someone else and they can turn around and do what fills their cup.
- Co-created and taught a tailored class to NHL level athletes monthly
- Co-hosted a hands on assistance workshop for Yoga Teachers
- Master Classes/Workshops with Bryan Kest, Kino Macgregor, Christine Felstead were my favorite and a workshop by Michelle Berman Marchildon helped me identify what makes my teaching special
- Volunteer Yoga Teacher at the centre for Hope Women’s Shelter
- Co-coached - Cheerleading Team - White Oaks Secondary, Clarkson Secondary and Montclair Cheerleading Team
- Athlete - Cheerleading - Cheersport Sharks Grey Reef Team, University of Guelph, White Oaks Secondary
- Athlete - Dragon Boat at Wai Nui O’kanaka of Oakville
- Athlete - Oakville Rep Soccer,